Wednesday 27 October 2010

Cappadocia, Turkey

I have just about recovered from my trip to Turkey, having returned on Sunday night, and now feel able to post some photos. It was very tiring. I went on a Comenius Contact Seminar and the British Council only told me I was going two weeks before, so it was all a bit of a mad rush to get ready. I'd originally applied to go on one in Bruges, Belgium, in November, so to find out I had to travel all the way to Turkey on my own was a bit of a shock! But I made it, and the photo above is the view from my hotel window.

The purpose of the Seminar was to meet people from other countries who you would like to partner up with for a Comenius Project, like the one we've just finished where I visited Turkey, Norway and Germany. There were lots of meeting and presentations but in between we were taken on sight-seeing tours. The Cappadocia region of Turkey has been known to double up as the Grand Canyon for Western movies.

This is me in the Goreme Open Air Museum. It's a place where early Christians lived, carving homes and churches into the sides of the cliffs.

And these are called Fairy Chimneys (or Fairy Chimeneys as our guide kept telling us). He did explain how they formed but I didn't really follow it. I remember he said the tops occassionally fall off and then new ones form. Strange.

This is my group, and a photo just to prove I actually did some work. From left to right they are from the following countries: Turkey, England (me), Spain, Latvia, Italy and Czech Republic. I haven't been back to work yet, but my boss informs me the women at work are disappointed that there are no men in our group! Oh Well!

No comments:

Post a Comment